Monday, July 15, 2013

Hellooooo from Acatan! | week 41


Hey guys!

So nice to hear from you guys. I loved all the pictures from the rivercats game. Brother Voges I love the new get up hahahaha. I was showing some of the elders here in Guatemala too! Zman is off to scout camp how cool is that. I have alot of good memories up there at camp Wente. Im sure he will come back nice and tired. Riley your gonna love the Trek man. Just get out and enjoy it. I remember I made alot of new freinds on the trek especially with the youth from other wards.

Well Im now in la zona Palmita. I still continue as a ZL with Elder M from Honduras. President Watts put every Zone leader from the south mission with a Zone leader from the North mission. I am the only elder in the Zone that came over from the old North mission so I am getting to know everyone. I saw Elder Gondola at change conference! He is now a Zone leader in Atlantico where I started my mission. Super crazy that we are together now. Elder G got sent to Puerto Barrios which is outside of the Capital to open up a new Zone hahah. What a stud.

Kind of felt like a long week with all the changes. Wendsday I arrived here in Acatan. It is very different in our area. Elder M and I are in a really rich part of Guatemala. Our area consists of about three residencial areas. The Elders have not had hardly any success at all here. I think in the last three years there has been four baptisms which is super low for Guatemala. There are alot of factors that go into that. The members are amazing here. Definitely the best functioning ward I have been in on my mission. Lots of complete families that have all served missions. The members are willing to do basically anything for the Elders except talking to their neighbors about the gospel hahahah. With all the security and guards that walk around these places its really hard to knock doors. I am trying to bring some new life into the area because right now its pretty dead hahah. Elder M has been here for five and a half months and that much time can be challenging here. So Im trying to inject some energy and faith into the zone and the area.

Funny moment the other day. We ate lunch at a members house and she was freaking out saying that I look just like Richard Gere when he was youg hahahahaha. Not really sure who that is but maybe you guys do.

Thanks Duncan family! I love getting all of your poscards. You guys are awesome. And I have been using some of the family history you taught us here in the mission feild woooohoooo!

Got a letter from Brother Canning too! Such a classy guy.

Im so excited to be here in zona Palmita. Despite some difficulties in the area I am determined to make some changes and get thing moving here. I know the Lord gives us challenges so that we may be able to learn and grow. I found a quote that really inspired me this week by George Q Cannon it reads " No matter how serious the trial, how deep the distress, how great the affliction, God will never desert us. He never has, and he never will. He cannot do it. It is not his character. He is an unchangeable being, the same yesterday, the same today, and he will be the same throughout the eternal ages to come. We have found that God. We have made him our freind, by obeying his Gospe, and he will stand by us. We may pass through the fiery furnace, we may pass through the deep waters, but we shall not be consumed or overwhelmed. We shall emerge from all these trials and difficulties for the better and will be purer for them, if we only trust in god and keep his commandments" I try and put my trust in the lord. I love this work. Walking down quiet steets and sharing this message makes me happy! I know as we look at our trails as oppourtunities to trust in the lord and to grow we can become what the lord wants us to be.

Love you guys so much. Keep having so much fun up there! And talk to you next week from Utah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love

Elder Hughes




No comments:

Post a Comment