Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hey familia! | Week 20


Hola mi querido familia y amigos! Que honda pue!

Wasn't it just Monday? Time is flying by! Thanks for the letter Dad your awesome. I loved it. Well all is well here in Guatemala. Changes are creeping up on us. This change is 7 weeks for us here in our mission because of all the changes in the MTC and ages. So we have change conference on the 6th of March and we find out if we personally have a change on the 3rd of March. WOW exciting news this week all these people getting their mission calls... how cool is this! Jamie to Brazil, Jeffery to North Carolina, and Tylers going back to the Big Apple soon! Jamie and Jeffery age going to be such great missionaries. How crazy is this so many of us our on or leaving for the mission! Im glad Grandpa Cahoon is improving and getting stronger. There are some people down here that remind me of Grandpa!

Mom, your back in the Primary Presidency! Kids are always the best to teach. I just love the little guys down here in Guatemala they really are so innocent and carry the love of Christ. So Dad to answer your question about my "gut feeling" this change.... To be honest I am not sure whats going to happen. We are opening thirteen new areas in the mission and about forty more missionaries are coming in. I think there is a chance I stay here in Llano Largo with Elder O and we get a new guy or I leave and goes who knows where! Im honestly a little nervous HA! The mission is crazy no one really knows whats going to happen. The cool thing about the Guatemala North mission is we have a little bit of everything. There are some crazy areas in Coban and Peten where life is alot different. There is a zone here called the Polichic where you learn to speak Q`eche a native language that looks crazy! The elders who get "chiked" usually go there early in the mission and stay there forever. All dirt roads and mountains. 

We had a good week in Llano Largo always walking, teaching, and problem solving! We decided to go running early in the morning twice this week. That always means dragging our Latino companion out of bed! HA We decided to run to the cemetary that is about a mile and a half from our house. Straight out of Remember the Titans! This cemetary sits out on a ridge that overlooks the valley we are in. Pretty cool early in the morning with a little fog as the sun comes up. I have always enjoyed running, that is something I really want to get into down the road. Another funny thing to share this week.... Got in the shower one morning to find a few freinds in there with me Cucarachas or "Cockroaches"! I see something new everyday here in Guatemala I love it. Guess what we are going to Baptize this week!! We have been teaching a you boy named J for about two months now. His dad is returning to the church after some disciplinary stuff in the past. I love J and his Dad so much! J is eight years old so it counts for the ward but we all feel really connected to him. I have never met an eight year old in my entire life like Job. The most humble, mature, obedient kid ever! It has been so amazing to teach him and get to know his dad as well. They both have some great goals for this coming year like going to the temple to be sealed as a family! J's Mom died unexpectedly three years ago. From what Ive heard she was an amazing woman and a great member of the church! In the numbers this Baptism doesnt count for the missionaries but we feel blessed to have been a big part in the process. Last change me and Elder G searched for him and his dad and have taught them ever since! We are also working with a woman named C in our ward. Her story is very long and full of trials that cant really be explained. She was excommunicated from the church years back. She has a testimony and is such an inspiration to me about the power of the atonement! We are going to re-baptize her as a member of the church March 2nd! We have been working with J and C from the time I got here to Llano Largo in December and It is amazing to see the progress they have made! As missionaries we have really been led to these people and I feel so blessed to have helped them along the path to Baptism! Wow, I love being a missionary!

Dad I loved your thoughts on how we need to be true to the gospel! Isn't that so true! The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true, and it is real. It really blesses and changes our lives. The doctrines are to be lived and incorporated into our character. Christ taught us to follow him! Do as we would do, say what he would say. I love this quote by President George Albert Smith " I can say unto you, my brethren and sisters, the happiest people in this world are those who love their neighbors as themselves and manifest their appreciation of Gods blessings by their conduct in life" I can honestly say with President Smith that the happiest people in this life are those who serve, love one another, give thanks to the Lord, and LIVE the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that my redeemer lives! Oh what joy this sentence gives!

Have another great week! I love you Mom Dad Riley and Zach! And everyone that reads!

Love Elder Hughes




1 comment:

  1. Love these pictures, I can smell the humidity and dirt....I love how you are working hard and we can't wait to hear all of the changes in Guatemala...crazy times!!

    ReplyDelete